* * THE COFFEE CONSUMER * * While writing my dissertation, I spent many days inside local coffee shops. For several years I had a collection of gift cards to THE giant (you know which mega coffee "shop" I'm talking about). I don't drink coffee so I never used the gift cards. When I tried to pass them on to my brother, he suggested a drink that I continue to enjoy to this day. I'm all out of gift cards now that I've spent so much time at this coffee shop. I'm not addicted to this drink, so as soon as I am done with my dissertation, I will frequent coffee shops much less.
Coffee shops are so interesting to the observer. People come in and out, some sit for a while, some get a drink and leave. A lot of police officers frequent this one particular coffee shop for their caffeine fix. You can't help but feel pretty safe in the coffee shop. I've been relatively focused on my work, but occasionally I can't help but overhear conversations, especially if they're really loud at the next table. I've gotten pretty good at tuning them out except for the highly annoying ones. The ones who smell are also very distracting. I very rarely meet up with someone at a coffee shop just to hang out, but it looks like such a relaxing and leisurely pastime. I usually only go to work on my dissertation, but when I'm finally done, I think I will call up and friend and meet up with my friend at the coffee shop. It seems like a cozy way to spend time with someone. .. and maybe, just maybe one day when this is all over, I will go to the local coffee shop, make some observations, and write about the characters who frequent coffee shops.
By the way, for those of you who ask and care, the answer is "In about six weeks."