* * HAWAII * * Hawaii was very relaxing. As my trip date got closer, I thought that I had planned my trip at a bad time given that I was in the midst of dissertation, but it actually worked out very well. Knowing that I was going on a trip made me work all that much harder so that I could get it done before I left. I sent off my final draft to my dissertation committee five hours after I landed in Hawaii, and then I began my vacation. :)
148 pages, baby!!! I can't believe I have 148 pages of STUFF. I haven't heard back from my committee yet, but hopefully I will soon, and hopefully it's good news.. I enjoyed my vacation very much and only thought about my dissertation when I wondered if I'd hear back from then. Thankfully my brain let me have a break from dissertation for eight days, but it didn't let me have a moment more! This morning's dream was all about my dissertation! I dreamt that I heard back from my chairperson, and we were selecting a date for me to defend my dissertation.. I woke up before we had selected a date.
The beginning of my trip started off very interestingly. A coworker and six friends were on the same flight. :P That night, I ran into a local girl whom I had met while she was on vacation here. Since I had been to Hawaii several times before, I didn't want to do many touristy stuff. I hiked a third of a way up Koko Head Crater before I gave up, but my brother made it to the top and got to see some great sights from that area. I spent time with my family, went sightseeing, watched a couple of shows (one of which I watched 11 years ago), hung out with a friend, went to a club, went to a carnival, ate a lot of great local food, shopped a whole lot, and relaxed. Vacations are my therapy.