|home|about|albums|archive|forum|
Monday, January 08, 2007
Hong Kong was fantastic. I did tons of shopping and ate lots of great food. I ate at a lot of different restaurants. Some I've eaten at before, and others were new experiences. These were the ones that stood out:
Restaurant recommendations:
Spring Deer Restaurant - especially famous for their peking duck. Make sure you make reservations before eating here. People were turned away because they didn't make reservations, and the place was THAT full. We didn't make reservations, but we arrived before anyone else had, and there were three tables at the time available for non-reservation parties.
Jumbo Kingdom - the food isn't the best, but it's a huge tourist attraction because it's a floating restaurant. You have to take a boat / ferry from the dock to the restaurant. Inside the restaurant are several chairs that look fit for a king and queen. I ate at this restaurant 22 years ago, and I posed in those chairs for pictures. Wow, those chairs looked ginormous to me at the time. :D Not anymore..
Tai Ping Koon Restaurant - this menu is like the one you would see at any HK-style diner here in the Bay Area. The difference is that this place is upscale and more expensive than any HK diner here. This is also a very popular restaurant. Apparently their beef chow fun is very popular.
Name Unknown - We ate at this Japanese restaurant, but I can't remember the name, and I forgot to grab a business card. Anyway, every dish is approximately $1.77 USD. The dishes were relatively small, but the food was good and so was the deal. I recommend that you go early because there is a huge line outside the restaurant by 7:00P.M. It almost looks like people are waiting in line outside a club.
Park Cafe inside Park Hotel - had a really good buffet! There were a variety of foods: hot, cold, mu shu pork, teriyaki/tempura, beverages, raw foods, American desserts, and Chinese desserts. Each table also gets half a lobster per person.
The escargots were delicious. I especially enjoyed the cold foods selection. I highly recommend this place.
Australia Dairy Co. - desserts galore. You can also order other diner-style foods, but the desserts are what I go there for, and I'm not a huge dessert person. I really like their milk toast. Mm mmm. The service here is EXTREMELY efficient. They have SO many customers that they really herd you in and out, so if you're a party of one-three, expect to share a table with others.
Wong Jia Sha - is "the Master of Shanghai Dim Sum." The food here is good. I really like Shanghai-style food and was happy to indulge myself. Order all your favorites, you won't be disappointed. My favorite of all time is onion pancake, and this place did not serve it my favorite way, but it was still good.
That's all for today. You know I had to start off with food.