SO CUTE -->

This was an entry at the annual NYC Design & Build competition in New York. It's made completely from cans!
"If you were the mayor of Oakland, what would you do to "fix up" Oakland?"This was one of many questions and discussions we had during our drive back from Tahoe. My response was that I'd open more recreation centers and create youth groups (groups that focus on: volunteer work, support [grief, domestic violence, violence, etc.], mentorship, job-building skills, etc.). We have to start with the kids since they are the ones growing up in the parts of Oakland that need to be "fixed up". Having these centers would create jobs and give youth a safe place to hang out while channeling their energy in positive ways (team sports, healthy competition, computer skills, etc. etc.). I think hiring rehabilitated ex-gangsters and ex-drug dealers/users to lead and facilitate youth groups would also bring a positive experience into the lives of youth. That's where I would start my work.
My response to the question led to another question,
"Where would you get the money to "fix up" Oakland?"I'd need to hire some celebrities and throw a few charity dinners. Maybe prostitution needs to be legalized in Oakland. That way prostitutes and the brothels can be taxed. There's tons of money to be made by taxing prostitutes and those massage parlors. I don't know if Oakland can handle a casino, but a lot of income would be generated from a casino. I'd have to teach the youth in the recreation centers about responsible gambling..
That response lead to another question..
"If you had a lot of money, where would you donate it?" I'll save my response for tomorrow's post.