I talked to my brother about a book he has to read for class, and I was reminded of the books I had to read during elementary school through high school. I can't recall a single 'happy' book. Every book assigned to us was depressing, and they were downers! Most of them were about violence and death. Even books like
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH ended with one of the good guys dead. I don't really remember the storylines for most of the books, but I do remember that they were all depressing. Here are just a few more off the top of my head:
Bridge To Terabithia,
The Metamorphosis,
The Great Gatsby, etc. etc. What was the one where some guy's brother drowns.. If you can remember one 'happy' book that you read in school, please let me know.. Maybe I read one too, but the overwhelming amount of depressing books I've had to read most definitely outweighs the happy books I may have read in school. I wonder if morbid English teachers select these books or if it is the school district's doing..