|home|about|albums|archive|forum|

Monday, September 05, 2005

* * L A B O R . D A Y . W E E K E N D * *

Long post, mostly about my Labor Day weekend camping trip.

I can't believe school starts tomorrow. Cry me a river..

I've had such a great summer. Even though I worked, I also chilled, relaxed, lounged, had tons of fun, went to Hawaii, Vancouver, Washington, and Oregon, went camping and hiking in South Lake Tahoe, and tried new things, like new bars/clubs (hiking and camping!).

For the Labor Day weekend, my friend co-organized a camping trip to South Lake Tahoe and invited me. I was very hesitant because I had never gone camping before, I know how much mosquitos, bugs in general, love to bite me, and I have allergies to something. I decided to go because I wanted to try something new. The first day/night was pretty good. I slept in a tent for the first time, but I had an air mattress and a cozy sleeping bag that made sleeping pretty comfortable. The air was chilly and did wake me up on occasion, but for the most part, sleeping was okay. Dinner included salads, pork, burgers, hot dogs, chips, sodas, beer, and water. Breakfast included muffins and noodle soup. 16 of us camped together in 2 sites that were right next to each other. I had no idea what was in store for me the next day...

I knew we were going to go hiking, but I had no idea what I was about to face. I had no warning. We arrived at Mt. Tallac to go hiking. Our group of 16 broke into 3 groups and off we went. Had I known the following, I might have rethought this hiking trip since this was my FIRST ever hiking experience, and I have very little exercise during the week. All I heard was the view was beautiful from the top. Here is a description of the moutain I hiked / climbed:

Mt. Tallac Trail

* Difficulty: Strenuous
* Elevation: 6,480'/9,735'
* Mileage (one-way): 1.7 miles to Floating Isle, 2½ miles to Cathedral, 5 miles to Tallac
* Providing a spectacular view of Fallen Leaf Lake, Lake Tahoe and Desolation Wilderness, this strenuous hike is well worth the effort. The first part of the trail to Floating Island and Cathedral lakes is moderate and can be enjoyed by the novice hiker. Beyond Cathedral Lake, the trail becomes steep and strenuous as it continues up the front face of Mt. Tallac. The trailhead is located approximately 3½ miles north of South Lake Tahoe on Highway 89. Look for the Mt. Tallac Trailhead sign directly across from the entrance to Baldwin Beach and turn left down the dirt road. Continue to the trailhead parking. Weather conditions can change rapidly in the Sierra mountains; bring a jacket, carry lots of water and allow plenty of time for your trip. A wilderness permit is required.

Oh my gawd?!

I hiked for over eight hours on a strenuous 10 mile trail (up and back down). I don't think there was ever a part that was more than 15 seconds of easy walking. The altitude and thin air affected me (us), the climb / walk was steep, and there were so many rocks (big & small)! We were all sooo tired, and some of the people in my group had gone hiking before. Two people took turns carrying my backpack, which was not heavy, but they insisted that it would help if they carried it. That was really nice of them. (Thanks to James and Steve!) We ate many granola bars and crackers and drank much water on our way up. We reached the top exhausted, and I was not impressed by the view. It was a beautiful view, but definitely not worth hiking five miles up for. The accomplishment that I felt was worth it though! During those four and something hours it took to get up there, I complained to myself and out loud, but I didn't want to give up. Well, I did want to give up, but it's not part of my personality to do so... We ate lunch, rested no more than 45 minutes, and then began our journey down. Oh no.. another torturous four and something hours. I was exhausted on the climb / hike upwards, and I thought coming down would be easier, but it seemed more dangerous coming down. I was less tired, but my legs and feet were so sore. James carried my backpack for part of the way down, too. We reached the bottom of the mountain before the sun went down and headed back to camp for more burgers and hot dogs. I had to call it a night early. I was EXHAUSTED! After those eight and something hours of hiking and climbing, I can say that I'm pretty sure I will never go hiking like that EVER again!!!!!!

However, I do feel like it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I accomplished it!!! I have a headache, blisters, sore legs (I cringe when I walk), sore body, and I think my nose is either a little sun-burnt or irritated from the wind.

On my way back home, the professor I will T.A. for called to remind me that I will be her T.A. for two semesters. < sniffle.. School begins again... >

I will post pictures of my South Lake Tahoe camping and hiking trip soon. Check out this awesome PANORAMIC Symon put together.

// posted by Jen @ 7:49 PM
Comments:
It was fun wasn't it? Lets do it again!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

|home|about|albums|archive|forum|

© 2003-2007 Devipz.com