|home|about|albums|archive|forum|

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

The thought of death occasionally brings chills to my body. Thinking about the inevitability of death brings out a lot of fear in me. I have been to quite a few funerals; for a while, it seemed like one after another. Thankfully none have been in the recent years (knock on wood). I have always been okay about funerals, but as I get older and the people around me get older, the fear seems stronger. What can I do about it? I can change the way I think, but death is inevitable. I don't know much about religion, afterlife, purpose of life, and those kinds of things.

You really never know when you will see someone again (knock on wood, again!). Those are things that we take for granted. I just found out a family friend passed away, which is what inspired this entry, but death and dying is something that I sometimes think about. I wonder, what's easier- losing someone unexpectedly or someone dying slowly? I would say neither, but there is always more of a shock attached to the unexpected deaths. Then there are those who live long, fruitful lives versus those who die young. Personally I don't feel that either 'types' of deaths are any easier to swallow. His death was completely unexpected. I did not know him well and had spoken to him on only several occasions. My brother spoke to him a lot more. Every day people die... some we don't notice. What happened to the homeless guy who used to sit at the corner of the street begging for money? What about that crossing guard that used to take you across the street in elementary school? What about that really old teacher from elementary school? Inevitability takes over. As we get older and older, and death is closer and closer, will it become easier to accept? For those who do not fear death at all... good for you. How do you do that? This was... depressing... I should stop procrastinating.

// posted by Jen @ 5:06 PM

|home|about|albums|archive|forum|

© 2003-2007 Devipz.com